I am sure you must have come across Microsoft Max and it is a shame that Max cannot run on a Vista at this point of time – I mean come on guys, you certainly can do better?
However, there is a work around (till Microsoft fixes this), if you want to get Max to run on Vista. The only downside is that you need to have a Win XP machine handy – which might be an issue for some people out there. Basically there are two things you need to do, to get this working on Vista – fudge the registry and use xcopy.
- Fudge the registry on Vista to fix the .Net 3.0 Setup registry key. To do so,
- Go to \Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0
- Look at the properties for System.ServiceModel.dll
- Find the version of the binary (Details tab) (on Vista RC1 it should be 3.0.4324.17)
- Open regedit
- Go to key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup
- Modify the Version value to match the one found for the System.ServiceModel.dll assembly above.